Friday, May 21, 2010

Lutra Bones.


So many things to write about the past 5 weeks. Where to start? I went to Eleuthera with the idea of staying for 2 weeks. Ended up staying for 5!! Not a bad run at all. Many reasons to pick this Bahamaian island. For me the main reason was the access to bonefish flats without the need or a guide or boat. Both of these would have most likely meant more fish for me to cast to. However, I did find fish to cast to on my own. Not as many as I would have liked to have seen. I hired a guide for one day. Kind of a unique situation. Due to the close proximity of the flats to the beach my guide drove me around the island from flat to flat looking for fish. I think we fished about 6 different spots. 3 of them I fished the day before and caught fish. I was not all that pleased with the guided day. I was hoping to learn a little more than I did. My guide seemed to like driving through the settlements honking and stopping to talk with everyone we saw more tan fishing. I guess it was part of the Bahamian "chevy flats boat" experience.Actually had pretty poor conditions. Not much sun and quite a bit of wind. Tides were not in our favor either.
So to the fish. This was my first time to flyfish for bones. I battled wind like never before. I walked and walked. I stared at the h2o for hours. I drove from spot to spot. I drank and ate on absolutely gorgeous beaches. I saw sharks,cuda,turtles, numerous birds,mangroves,and not too many fishermen. On top of all of that I saw bonefish. I am not going to paint too rosy of a picture here. Yes I did have great days of fishing. I also had days of no fish and wind that just kicked my ass. I still fished everyday regardless of the wind. I would look at the 20 knot days as a chance to practice my casting. In my opinion a 20 knot wind is almost too much trouble. Better to find a beer and a book or go snorkeling. Not to say that I would not walk out the door right now and fish a flat in a 20 knot wind if I could. I guess that brings me to the best thing about "Lutra". You can walk out the door,get in the car and be on a flat within minutes. I do not know of many places in the world where this is possible. If any of the 3 people reading this do, please let me know. I will keep looking too.
So now I am back in Colorado for another day. Then off to the Keys in the a.m. A couple of weeks in Key West will be good. Just talked to my friend who really lives the dream down there. He is a flats guide. A life that I am jealous of. The Tarpon fishing has been good the last couple of weeks. I am hoping that things stay good and I am able to hook up with a silverking on a flyrod. Also hoping that the BP trainwreck gets sorted out soon.
Time to pack my one bag and check my gear.
Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment