Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chasing Tarpon in Key West.

Just a quick transmission from Key West.
Been here for a week so far. Have been able to get out on a boat 3 times so far. May be able to fish once more before leaving town. The tarpon are here in very large numbers. Hooked up with 4 fish today. Broke two off and had the other two spit the hook. Wanted to get one to the side of the boat and get some close up shots with my new H2Oproof camera. No luck though. Probably better for the fish to keep the contact with humans and fishing rods as short as possible.
Poked around on a few different flats so far. Saw some good sized schools of permit a couple of days ago. Had the flyrod involved and my spirits were high. Also I was trying to remain realistic about my chances of having everything come together for a shot at a fish. Had some quick fleeting chances at shots. Had a chance at everything coming together on one group of fish. Swimming right towards us. Not too much wind. And they did not seem to be spooked. We not any spookier than they normally seem to be when on a flat. Just as John turned the boat so that I could get a cast off, the fish blew up and took off. Really seemed like things were headed in the right direction. Sounds like my experience is pretty typical of flyfishing for permit. I still enjoyed the day.
On the flats today we did not see any bones or permit. I kind of suspect the recent full moon has something to do with it. I am wondering if bones,permit and tarpon feed all night during the full moon and then sleep it off during the daylight hours.The Tarpon we saw today did not seem to be too serious about feeding. The Tarpon are also keyed in on the Paololo worm hatch right now. I am hoping the worms keep doing their thing and we are able to play tug of war with a Tarpon as a result.
The flats fishing is almost over for me this year. I have been in or very near the saltwater for almost 2 months. Very pleased with the way things have worked out. I always hope for more fish but I am grateful for the fish I have caught. I hope that I am able to spend some more time down here next year. Actually many years to come is the ultimate goal.
Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment